Monday 11 April 2011

RACE 15 - FUL-ON DUATHLON: KEMPTON PARK RACECOURSE - 9th April

This is another race I did last year with a couple of friends.  Unfortunately there were "issues" around the marshalling and marking of the course which meant that nearly a third of the competitors got a DQ (disqualified) result.  The triathlon club putting on the event (Ful-on Tri) were naturally inundated with complaints so have totally redesigned the course - so I was interested in giving it a go. 


From their website it confirmed that "This year sees a new course layout for both the bike and run courses, with transition relocated to the central area of the racecourse. The run course will be approx 6k (3 laps) and mostly on tarred road surfaces, except where it crosses the all weather racecourse. The bike course will be approx 18k (6 laps) contained within a closed road circuit, with no out-and-back sections this year to improve on safety.

The venue is ideal for novices and experienced competitors alike, with grass areas and a grandstand for easy spectating. There is ample parking and the venue also has its very own railway station, Kempton Park, which is served by trains on the Shepperton to London Waterloo line. Refreshments such as teas, coffees, toasted sandwiches and snacks are available from the Toasty cafe stand in the grandstand area."


A couple of things I've learnt since last week.  Tried another way of dealing with my muddy trainers thinking that rather than wash them in the bath immediately after the race, I'd let the mud dry and then just knock it off.  Not a good idea! It dried like concrete and I had to resort to chipping and chiselling it off with a screwdriver before soaking them overnight in a bucket. 

The second thing I learnt was don't go out for a drink the night before a race (obvious really).  It was an almost summer-like Friday evening, and the thought of sitting in a pub garden at the end of a long week was just too good an opportunity to miss.  Unfortunately everyone else in south London had the same idea so 'sitting' was out of the question and by the second run I was really beginning to feel it.  Another thing I learnt that bears no relationship whatsoever to racing, is that M&S do a really nice hot cross bun loaf - perfect for the toaster with lashings of butter - a top  snack!

Kempton Park Racecourse is at the London end of the M3 so it only took about 40 minutes to get to.  The weather was beautiful and the journey round Richmond, Kew etc. was lovely especially with all the cheery blossom out.  With the breeze, the petals fell almost like pink and white snow (wasn't there a Cat-in-the-Hat book that had pink snow?)  

When I was registering there was a palpable sense of everyone really enjoying themselves in the sunshine.  At registration I found that the veteran men (over 40's for this race) were going to start half an hour after the men - in the same starting wave as the women and veteran women.  Oh well never mind I thought, I'll just have to race with young attractive Lycra-clad female athletes!  Also at registration we were given our "goody bags" which among other things we were given a CD - Jack Johnson 'to the sea' - any ideas as to who he is? 

It did give us a chance to watch the men set off and see the course.  It was at this point that I realised that there were a number of clubs with teams competing - checked the website and found that this race counts towards the London Leagues.  It would explain the teams, the amount of sponsorship on show and the fact that there were even coaches shouting instructions from the sidelines! 

Another disadvantage of going to the pub on a Friday night was rather than getting my kit ready and loading the car, finding that I had forgotten my camera (the pictures are from my Blackberry which may have features like zoom - but I've no idea how to use it if indeed it does), only brought water instead of sports energy drink, and had forgotten to buy any bananas - which are a perfect pre-race snack.  So no action shots I'm afraid.  

The half an hour to our race passed quickly as it gave us an opportunity to look at the kit on display.  There were some serious bikes in transition - the type you normally only see in tri-magazines or in professional races. Also watching the men go round the three laps there were some awesomely speedy racers - I'd have been well down the field if I'd gone off in this wave.  


Unbeknown to me was that there were some pretty exceptional vets racing as well for instance I got this of the Ful-On Triathlon Club website ( http://www.fulontri.com/) "After winning the Vets race and coming second overall at the Ful-on Duathlon on Saturday, Nick shook off the tired legs and backed it up the following day with an overall win at the challenging Dragonslayer Duathlon! An awesome weekends racing!"  In fact two of the top three finishers were in the veteran classification - I'm so glad I didn't know the standard at the start, I think I might have stayed in bed!


Got chatting to a woman - probably older than me but can't be sure, one of those ageless types.  She'd been a GB racer 20 years ago doing Olympic distance triathlons and Ironmans!  Talking to her about power output meters (nope - I don't know what they are either); heart rate monitors; titanium screws; and a cut-off style of cycle saddle that protects your perenium ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perineum ) - suffice to say its a problem many cyclists face.  She had just decided to start racing again after a ten year gap, and motivated herself by booking a half-Ironman in Lanzarote later this year.  A half-Ironman is unsurprisingly half the distance of an Ironman.  However it is still one for the seriously fit being a 1.2-mile (1.9 km) swim, 56-mile (90 km) bike ride, and 13.1-mile (21.1 km) run.  And yes, those that do an Ironman race do finish by doing a full marathon run!


At ten we set off on the first of the three run laps. By the finish of the run I was about half way down the field.  Not my speediest transition - more of a where did I leave my glasses, the right hand glove goes on the right hand etc.  However once on the bike and after a slightly tentative first lap with a variety of surfaces to negotiate - rubber blocks in the stables area; broken up asphalt; matting over the all-weather race surface; a bit of concrete - I got into the swing of things and began to motor (not literally of course as I would have been DQ-ed).  I was only overtaken twice and was overtaking quite a few people - so was really enjoying myself.  Possibly pushed a little too hard as I began to feel a twinge in one of my calves.


Then off the bike and on to the next three laps of the run.  At this point I realised a few things. 

  • Firstly I had put a bit much into the cycle - I was knackered. 
  • Secondly, no quick boost of energy from an energy drink - that was back at home.  
  • Thirdly a 'twinge' in the calf on the bike was 'rather sore' or words to that effect on the run.  
  • Fourth - beer and exercise really don't mix especially with the sun beating down. 
  • Fifth and finally, all those people I'd passed on the bike with "effortless ease" (not!) ran passed me with seemingly effortless ease!

Basically, I found a guy going at a speed that I thought I could maintain and just managed to keep pace allowing him to drag me along.  Managed to keep up until the last 1km when he just eased ahead beating me by about 50m.  No sprint /stagger finish for me this time - just a relieved stumbling jog.


It was one race that I could have done with the sports massage afterwards but there was such a queue that I decided to have the post race bacon sarnie instead.  But all in all, a great race with much learnt, very friendly and well organised.  


Also quite humbling in many ways as you suddenly realise at how talented other people are.  I decided however that I wasn't going to massively change my approach (apart from no beer the night before). Partly as I don't like training particularly; also I don't want to be totally focused on one sport; and something I noticed probably more in this race than any other was the lack of banter between competitors while actually racing.  There was a fair amount  between those of us back down the field but possibly because it was a league event it was a bit more serious than normal. 


Result: 87th out of 152 in a time of 1:29:34 (26th Vet out of 43)

No comments:

Post a Comment