Monday 30 May 2011

RACE 23 - GE STRATHCLYDE TRIATHLON - 22nd May

This week it was up to Scotland for a few days r + r and the small matter of a triathlon.  This triathlon is part of the British championship series - so all the top British athletes take part (which by no means of the imagination includes me).  The series (which also includes Blenheim, Windsor and London - all of which I'm doing) are televised by Channel 4 (broadcasting on Channel 4 on 5th June at 7:30am so set the videos or whatever technology you have or catch it on Channel 4OD).  I spotted myself (briefly) in a previous year in Windsor, jogging down the main street seemingly without care in the world looking at the architecture.

Anyway back to the Strathclyde which although is 'a bit' further than I normally travel does have the bonus of being able to see Jeremy + Kath (brother + wife) and a number of friends which makes the whole endeavour more of a holiday with an incidental bit of sport to undertake.

Don't worry I won't bore you with regaling you with holiday stories and photos and as the technology seems to be playing up they're all at the end anyway.  Friday was spent "training" which was basically some time in the gym then climb Ben Lomond.  Weather was sunshine and heavy frequent showers plus the obligatory very high winds. An aside - the whole landscape was impressively lush - really emerald green rolling fields on the drive up.  The bluebells were out in massive drifts under the newly emerging bracken stems. Managed to make it to the top - only stopping to either put waterproofs on or take them off. Once at the top about to tuck into the salad I'd bought while huddling in what passed for the lea - was caught in a snow storm. Kind of put me off the salad so I had my coffee instead trying to warm my numb hands because I hadn't thought to pack gloves because it was the nearly the end of May!

It was pretty much a white out but didn't settle and once it had stopped sufficiently I begun to make my way back down.  Looking north from Ben Lomand I was surprised to see all the higher peaks and ridges white with snow.


Later in the evening met up with Carol to revisit Cafe Gadolfi - unchanged (in a good way) since I used to live up here in the 80's.  Great food - and stunning hand carved furniture (http://www.cafegandolfi.com/ ).  Then onto to the Babbity Bowser (another place that hasn't changed a jot and again in a good way! http://www.babbitybowster.com/ ).  Musicians began to drift in and held an impromptu jamming sessions of traditional music.  Interestingly a youngish guy came in with a floor standing harp.  Played once and for the rest of the evening was surrounded by girls. Note to self - a  harp is a babe magnet.

Well enough of that - thanks to bro for an excellent selection of curries for my pre-race carbo-loading, though I'm not sure that curry is in any training manual.

Early (ish) sunday morning start - too early to have breakfast at the hotel anyway.  To be honest I didn't feel like any apart from a cup of tea as I was actually feeling nervous. Off across Erskine Bridge where I realised that the wind hadn't died down much, through some heavy rain, so no change there either.

Got to the site to any absence of signs directing you where to go. However followed some other lost souls and found the route in was actually the cycle course.  There were no flat bits it was either up hill or down but then I guess what do you expect in Scotland - hills, weather ..... Anyway it didn't do the nerves any good!  Parked up, registered and got ready but no sign of where to get my traditional pre-race cup of tea (found it later).  However wasn't really time as we were all moved out of transition pretty sharpish.  The officials were  most officious - the racking of the bikes had to be just so, the kit laid out in certain place, all other kit and bags had to be stored outside.  Although they were officious it was in a professional way - which added to the nerves as I wondered what I'd let my self in for.

Officially described on their website as "set in the 2014 Commonwealth Games venue, the GE Strathclyde Park Triathlon is an event not to be missed. With a vast 200 acre loch, undulating terrain through woodlands and forests this makes an ideal site for the first event in the British Triathlon Super Series of 2011. With the elite race enjoying its third year at Strathclyde Park, this event now warmly welcomes a mass participation event for all those who’ve been inspired to have at go at one of the world’s fastest growing sports.

The swim will take place in Strathclyde Park Loch before you head out on your bikes on the closed roads through the park. No triathlon would be complete without a hill or two so there are a few in the cycle stage just for good measure. [I'll say!] Once you’re back to transition it’s out onto the run where you’ll take to the woodlands for undulating and enjoyable [define enjoyable in this context?] last stage of the race."


Soon found out as they sent the waves off every 10 mins. The water was freezing!  They said it was 13 degrees but even the commentator had his doubts.  We got in 5 mins before our start so my feet were numb hanging onto the pontoon.  Talking amounst the competitors consisted mostly of gallows humour.  The feet got so numb that they didn't warm up until second cycle lap.

The horn sounded and we were off swimming in the rain. The only other time I've swum outdoors in the rain is in Australia in an outdoor heated swimming pool - which needless to say was a somewhat different experience. The nerves had obviously had an effect as I went straight into "turtle" breaststroke mode without even thinking about it.

The swim otherwise went fine - we had a great view of the cyclists going up the first hill (I'm sure I'm not meant to notice such things while racing but it does take the mind off all those swimmers in front). There was another swimmer breast stroking and one with a languid front crawl (whether from exhaustion or just stylish I don't know). Found out that I was in the bottom ten swimmers - oh well something to improve on! 





One advantage of numb feet is I didn't feel the gravel and rough surface underfoot in the run to the transition.  Onto bike to find unsurprisingly that as we'd had a shower while out swimming, all my stuff was soaking including of course the towel placed in such a way to allow you to partially dry feet before putting on the cycle shoes (I'm not one of those who fix the shoes to the bike and the put my feet in them whilst cycling - requires far too much co-ordination for me). Then off up the first hill. And the second, then down then up the third. Down, around a mini roundabout and then repeat in reverse - four times!  Add the wind plus another shower made for 'interesting' conditions.  Also as it's a race bike there are no mudguards so I got pretty wet though I suppose that's pretty academic as I'd started out wet after the swim, had put on wet kit and then proceeded to get/remain wet. However was pleased at how the cycle went ie. overtook loads and was overtaken by only two others. The route was a little rough being that large aggregate asphalt with the occasional rumble strip. However what really was "buttock clenching" was the fast down hills whilst on aero-bars as you've no access to brakes and steering is a little less precise.  First lap may have been a bit tentative but seeing how others were doing it was a case of gritting teeth and haring (or is it hooning north of the boarder) down.  Pretty exhilarating and scary! Worst experience was when I nearly crashed into the camera motor bike - they were far too concerned in photographing a rather attractive female competitor to notice me closing fast with no gap to get through - a rather panicky shout was required and even then I had to haul on the brakes (hopefully that doesn't make it onto channel 4).

Then a quick (for me) transition and on to the run. The course was basically past the finish and elite transition (put there so the spectators get to see more of them) and off round the loch shore.  Windy and painful - especially as part way round you had to run up and over a steep little knoll.  The muscles really didn't like that! I  felt that I'd must be dawdling especially as I was overtaken by a couple of runners at some pace. Realising they were young meant that they had caught up and overtaken me although they'd started in the wave 10 mins after me.  It was just a question of gritting teeth and keeping going - with a thumbs up and a gritted "cheers" to all the marshalls that gave encouragement.  How they managed to remain so cheerful in the wind and driving rain I don't know but it was certainly appreciated.

Back up and over the knoll actually managing to overtake some other runners and with the finish line in sight on the opposite shore it was time to dig deep and speed up.  Convinced I'd done a poor run - it really felt like a snail's pace at some points, I was surprised to find that when the results were posted I'd actually posted a respectable time - not a million miles off my personal best.

Then it was off to the centre to have a shower - its a great way to recover. Then along to cafe to have finally a cuppa and watched the presentations from the veranda over looking the loch and finishing line/ elite transition area.

While taking my kit back to the car found where I could get my recovery bap - so while the elite women were racing I was eating a chicken burger and chips.  A couple of differences in their race - apart from the speed, is that they are allowed to dive in at the swim; each lap of the bike and run goes through the transition area to allow the crowds to cheer them on; hoards of photographers were on hand and their progress was beamed onto a large screen so the spectators could follow progress.  They were led around the course by a marshal on a Honda Gold-wing who's sound system - yes they have them on motorbikes, was belting out bagpipe music.  So these elite athletes were accompanied by the same sunshine and showers that we mere mortals suffered and by the sound of someone torturing cats!  It's certainly not an easy way to earn a living!



RESULT: 52nd out of 111 in a time of 1:22:25




A little bit of additional information regarding the venue adapted courtesy of Wikipedia.  Strathclyde Country Park covers some 4 km², centred on the artificial Strathclyde Loch. It is located next to the River Clyde between Hamilton and Motherwell. Strathclyde Park forms what used to be known as the Low parks of the now demolished Hamilton Palace and still includes buildings associated with the palace. When the Loch was created in the early 1970's it involved the flooding of the old mining village of Bothwellhaugh. The park offers many amenities and attractions such as coarse angling, woodland walks, watersports, and a camping and caravaning site. One of Scotland's theme parks is located in the park. Although the focus of the park is on recreation, a variety of habitats are present, including wetlands and native woodland.

The west side of the park is bounded by the River Clyde, which was diverted when the loch was built in 1975. The original course can be seen between the east loch shore and the island. Across the Clyde is the M74 motorway, which creates a significant level of noise. The east side of the park is quieter, with woodland and paths leading up the slopes to Motherwell.


The remains of Bothwellhaugh Roman Fort and a Roman bath house can be seen in the park, where the South Calder Water flows into the loch. There is an arched Roman bridge across the South Calder nearby. The site of the Battle of Bothwell Bridge (1679) is to the north west of the park.







No comments:

Post a Comment