Monday 7 February 2011

RACE 6 - DORNEY DUATHLON - 6th February


Well it back to Dorney Lake for race 6 - another duathlon.  As it was helpfully pointed out by my brother, this was the site of a major multi-period archaeological excavation prior to being turned into a rowing lake (I'll find out some more detail and add to a later post as I'm returning to Dorney at least twice more). As you can see, the rowing lake is pretty straight and about 2km in length - which is kind of what you would expect. It would be a bit much for the likes of Cracknell, Redgrave et al to have to won all those gold medals while having to turn corners.  The black blob at the eastern end is where all the facilities are and where the summer triathlons take place.  Naturally we're based at the other end  sharing 3 portaloos! Anyway, it was an early Sunday start - too early as I totally miss judged the traffic and turned up at the venue at 8am (10 o'clock race start) to find that the gates were still locked - so I joined the queue.  Fortunately knowing I'd be early, I'd stopped off at the services for a paper and drinks - so had a leisurely read of Man U's loss and a whole sentence on Leeds' win. 
Plenty of time to set up, have a cup of tea, take some photos and generally chill-out.  While I was getting my timing chip (on odd one for this kind of race as you had a "dibber" that you physically had to "dib" in and out of transition - normally you just cross a mat and it does it automatically) I found that I was categorised as MSV - the first time ever! All races have juniors, seniors, veterans and so forth, but being 50 in the current year of racing meant that I was now classed as a "super veteran".  I think the super is less to do with the use as in superman, more that they just didn't feel they could get away with a category of "ancients", "really old vets", "do you honestly think you'll get round vets", "the wrinklies" or other such categories.  By the way, and I'm sure you've worked it out for yourselves, the 'M' stands for male as opposed to the 'F' standing for ..... work it out!        


The weather was particularly windy (it was the weekend of all those gale force winds and storms and England's victory over Wales in the rugby), so much so they didn't inflate the start/finish gantry.  As you can see although it was overcast, the sun did peep  through occasionally.  There were no rowers at all this Sunday (unlike the last time I was here) presumably because of the wind.  All the geese, swans and seagulls (apart from a few kamikaze ones) were either on the adjacent lake or on the shoreline.


Back to the race.  About 9:30 I was beginning to get a bit concerned.  Rob Harrison (who I work with) was going to be the first person to join me on a race.  He eventually turned up in time for the start.  Rob is what is called an "age-grouper" - he competes in dualthlons for the GB team in the MSV category.  This was going to be the first race trying out his new bike and practicing for qualification in this years GB team.

Mass start (see if you can spot me) and off on the two-lap run - watching Rob disappearing into the distance.  The high winds were mainly cross winds so although you didn't have to struggle into the wind, neither did you have the let up of running with the wind.  Needless to say, as well as trying to keep Rob in sight I was pondering on the fact that this had been the site of a major multi-period archaeological excavation prior to being turned into a rowing lake.  Well not really - more where's the next breath coming from......  

Onto the bike with a bit of trepidation following the last time.  However this time it felt good - well goodish - legs not too tired and was actually  overtaking people! The side winds were vicious though pushing you all over the place - and there wasn't much shelter to be had.  However did a much better cycle this time and managed to ease past Rob beating him to transition by 50m.  'Dib' in and out and off on the second run - to be overtaken by Rob on the second lap again to watch him disappear into the distance!  Overall really pleased with the race - Rob was second fastest  MSV and I was third - yes there were more than three! 

Then off to a local pub for a pint and an awesome sandwich with Rob and his wife Sally.  You do need carbs as soon after a race as possible to aid recovery - I'm not making this up honest!  Though maybe the pro's don't include beer in that but ....

At this point realised I hadn't taken a photo of us in our race garb so thanks to Sal for this one in the pub car-park.  Lunch was a great way of winding down - taking the micky out of Rob for me having the temerity to actually overtake him on the bike! He was convinced I must have done fewer laps but when he races he's very much "in-the-zone", totally concentrating on the race, his speed, heart rate, cadence etc. (which is why he races for GB). Whereas I'm more the kind of 'racer' (I use this term loosely) that considers that I'm competing on a site of a major multi-period archaeological excavation that I really ought to catch that pretty girl in front (I didn't); those two blond girls who went round together chatting to each other and looking like they were thoroughly enjoying themselves (Sally noticed them Rob didn't); why was there a hearse in the car park with a mattress in the back - was it really a "lurve - mobile"; respect for the lady who power walked her way round .......      

Result: 22 out of 82 in a time of 1:22:12

No comments:

Post a Comment